ARMAND ESDERS

A benevolent enthusiast

At the head of a textile company which he developed and took over after his father, Armand Esders was a visionary industrial. In 1929, charmed by Deauville, he bought a villa where he welcomed various Deauville personalities of his time, such as André Citroën and Henri Farman.
His friendships were linked to his three passions: automobile, yachting, and aviation. In the 1930s, Deauville allowed him to pursue these passions. Armand Esders dedicated part of his personal fortune to support Deauville’s expansion and to reinforce the well-being and leisure structures of Deauville citizens. He was host of the Deauville Yacht Club, the initiator of the 1936 Deauville Automobile Grand Prix (which took place only once), and donator for the construction of worker housing. In 1929, alongside Mayor of the time Eugène Colas, he encouraged the construction of the Saint-Gatien airport. He financially participated to the purchase of the land, the construction works and the organization of meetings and events. Eight decades after its creation, the Deauville-Normandie Airport is an airport easily accessible to all Normandy people.

As he was very committed to the construction of public structures and he promoted the architectural development of the city, Deauville named a street after Armand Esders, leading from the Avenue de la République to the Saint-Augustin church.
Since the 1930s, his name is also engraved on the top part of the nave of the Saint-Augustin church, of which he partly financed the renovation and expansion between 1929 and 1931.
From 1935 to 1940, during the first term of Robert Fossorier, Armand Esders was municipal councilor for the city of Deauville.