SQUARES OF DEAUVILLE

For the greatest pleasure of the walkers, Deauville offers an incredible diversity of natural or more organized settings. Among the latter, the squares of Deauville, a nice place to take a break and spend some of your time.

© Delphine Barré Lerouxel

Town Hall Square

The Town Hall was built in 1880, following the plans of architect Saintin from Versailles, who proposed a Beaux-Arts-style building, set up in the middle of a fenced garden. After the Second World War, the municipality, wanting to adapt this area to the regional identity of the seaside resort, entrusted its "normandisation" to architect Albert Guy. These changes were associated with the reconstruction of the east wing, a polygonal stairway turret and the transformation of the destroyed enclosed area into a square.

More information about the Town Hall

© Béatrice Augier

François André square

This square was built in 1945 in front of the main entrance of the Normandy hotel. Designed as a regional garden with apple trees, this area is divided by paths converging towards a bronze bust representing François André, built in 1964. This work, a tribute to the successor of Eugène Cornuché, director of the Hotel and casino society of Deauville (the current Barrière group), was made by a former pupil of Bourdelle Don.

More information about the Normandy Hotel

© Delphine Barré Lerouxel

Square of the Saint-Augustin church

In 1914, a square was built in front of the Saint-Augustin church, following the project made by architect Georges Madeline, to replace the custom building. Two perpendicular roads cross it and enclose three grass areas with pedestrian walkways. Each part is embellished by flower-beds, trees and local essences’ shrubs, accompanied in 1969 by non-native plants, including black poplars and Austrian pines.

More information about the Saint-Augustin church