RAILWAY STATION OF DEAUVILLE TROUVILLE

Shared by Deauville and Trouville, it’s a network head railway station, daily linking the railway stations of Lisieux and Saint Lazare throughout the year.

© Sandrine Boyer Engel
© Sandrine Boyer Engel

In 1911, the municipality of Deauville planned to replace the railway station built in 1863 by a much greater structure, to adjust to the evolution of rail travelling. The project, suspended in 1914, was resumed when the Armistice was announced. However, it was only in 1931 that the Minister of Public Works authorized the building of the new railway station.
The architectural plan proposed by Jean Philippot makes part of a regional modernity, as confirmed by volumes and the use of concrete, thus preserving the Normand style. This "normandization" is represented by half-timbering structures and the use of local materials (bricks, Bavent tiles). Their texture and colour reflect the red and yellow cobblestones found on the ground of the platforms.

Take the time to appreciate its details, including the two inside gables, decorated in 1932 with two frescos made by Louis Houpin, one representing the plan of Deauville-Trouville, the other a map of Normandy.

© Sandrine Boyer Engel

The traveller’s guide

All destinations, schedules, prices