© Sandrine Boyer
© Sandrine Boyer

A HERITAGE TO PROMOTE

The Franciscaines will establish stronger connection with a site forming part of the heritage of Deauville inhabitants. This great project provides continuity between its past – dedicated to hospitality and education – and its future aim: mediation and transmission. The City prefers rehabilitating structures that belong to its heritage, instilling new life into them, instead of building new facilities. Situated 5 minutes from the sea and 10 minutes from the city centre on foot, this attractive complex will revitalise this part of Deauville.

It is structured around the Saint-Joseph building (1876), which used to include classrooms and dormitories on the first floor.
To the right of the Saint-Joseph building, there were the convent spaces devoted to the Franciscaines congregation everyday life: a chapel, a squared garden surrounded by a cloister and common rooms (refectory, kitchen, library…). In the other floors, the nuns’ rooms.
In 1897 a wing, set at right angles, forming a squared court behind Saint-Joseph building, was added to the right of it.

© Sandrine Boyer
© Julien Bolle