STRASSBURGER VILLA, PICTORESQUE ARCHITECTURE

Preserved as an historical monument since 1975, this impressive manor, distant from the seaside, was commissioned by the Baron Henri De Rothschild. Passionate for horse races, he had chosen a venue situated close to the racecourse. the Villa was built in 1907 on the area of the “Ferme du Coteau”, belonging to the novelist Gustave Flaubert’s family since 1837. It can be visited from June to September and upon reservation. It can also be rented for private events or public meetings.

 

La Villa Strassburger extérieur©Jean-François Lange
©Jean-François Lange
©Jean-François Lange

This manor, designed by the Caen architect Georges Pichereau, combined references to the academic and pays d’Auge architecture. The Normand style was emphatized by the creation, around the house, of a large grass park with apple trees, on about two hectares. The opus incertum bedrock is covered by alternate brick and stone ground floor and half-timbered first floor. A notable glass canopy is placed on almost all the villa façades. The profusion of architectural elements decorating the elevations (towers, bow windows, large ground-floor terrace) and roof projections adorned with ceramic finials strengthen the picturesque character of this place.

Owned by Ralph Beaver Strassburger since 1924, the villa was bequeathed by its heirs to the City of Deauville in 1980.

 

All dates of the guided tours here

 

 

©Jean-François Lange

PICTORESQUE VILLA

External decorated details are in contrast with simple internal volumes. The entrance, oriented to the west, opens on a central hall conducting to smoking, living and dining room to the north, dining room for children, room and great staircase to the south. This staircase leads to the private apartments situated in the first floor.

The villa has preserved, as it rarely happens, original furniture, decor, knick-knacks and several horse paintings. Several caricatures makes reference to the celebrations of that time.

THE UNDERGROUND OF THE VILLA, VESTIGE OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR

 

Several villas were requisitioned by the German authorities during the Second World War. The Villa Strassburger was then personally occupied by the commanding officer of the area. In 1942, when Normandy was regularly bombed, an underground shelter was built behind the villa to ensure the occupants’ safety. This 45-m long underground corridor in the form of U has two entries, leading both to the same place.

Rent the villa for an event Download our flyer here